Canadian Immigration visaWhether you are planning to visit Canada as a tourist, traveling on business, plan to study here or plan to work here, it is very important to get the correct information on the type of visa you will need before you plan your trip. Travelers from only a few countries do not require a visa to visit or transit through Canada, only if they stay for a short period of time.

In order to simplify the visa application process for travelers and visitors to Canada, Canada’s immigration department has created the following visa categories depending on the intended length of stay, and the goal of your trip. Each category will require a different set of documents, and processing times will vary.

Electronic Travel Authorization – or “eTA” was established to simplify travel and transit through Canada for nationals usually exempt from a visa to Canada. It is linked automatically to the traveler’s passport. It is issued for a period of 10 years and allows entry to Canada for an unlimited number of times. Although the application process is very fast and straightforward – you should not buy your plane ticket unless you have a valid eTA.

Super Visa – a Super Visa is a great option for those who plan to stay in Canada for extended periods of time without planning to become permanent residents. The processing time takes in most cases no longer than 60 days and is valid for a period of 10 years allowing unlimited entry.

Visitor Visas (Temporary Resident Visa – TRV)a Visitor Visa is placed on your passport once you have been approved, indicating that you have met the requirements for a temporary resident (whether it be as a visitor, student or worker). it is issued for a maximum period of 6 months. This visa is not applicable to permanent residents.

Parent and Grandparent Extended Stay Temporary Resident Visa this is similar to the Visitor Visa and TRV. It can be granted for a period of up to 2 years under certain circumstances. The application is usually accompanied by a letter of introduction from the visa office.

Transit Visa – if you are planning to transit through Canada, you will need a Transit Visa. Please note that certain individuals traveling to or from the U.S. may not need a transit visa. You also don’t need a transit visa if you are under the Transit Without Visa program (TWOV), or the China Transit Program (CTP).

Student Visa – or more precisely the Canadian Study Permit, is required if you intend to pursue post-secondary education in Canada for more than 6 months. It is important to receive it before you come to Canada. If you have been accepted for a student visa, you will receive an eTA and TRV (if your country of origin requires them).

Work Visa – or Work Permit, or authorization to work without a permit is required for foreign nationals who wish to work in Canada under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, or the International Mobility Program (IMP).


What do I do if I have been denied a visa to Canada?


If you applied for a visa and have been denied, our experts can review your case. We will determine the best course of action and will come up with the right strategy to achieve the most positive outcome.

At Green Light Canada, we assist with filing documents for any visa you might need, and providing full support in the process. Our company has the expertise, knowledge of current laws, and attention to detail that will make your visa application go smoothly and will deliver the highest positive outcome.


If you are not sure which visa applies to your particular situation, contact us for a professional consultation, and we will choose the right strategy to ensure you receive your visa as soon as possible.

Electronic Travel Authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization or (eTA) allows visa-exempt foreign nationals to travel or to transit through Canadian Airports. It is electronically linked to the travelling individual’s passport and is valid for up to 5 years. With eTA you can enter Canada unlimited number of times if you stay for up to six months at time. For travelling within Canada eTA is not required.

Read More

Visitor Visas

Visitor Visas

Guest and business visits, tour trips, language courses, etc. Our stats are 10 out of 10.

Read More