Home / Visas / Electronic Travel Authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows visa-exempt foreign nationals to travel or transit through Canadian airports. It is electronically linked to the travelling individual’s passport and is valid for up to 5 years. With an eTA you can enter Canada for an unlimited amount of times, if you stay for up to 6 months at a time. For travelling within Canada, an eTA is not required. An eTA by itself cannot guarantee its holder entry to Canada. You will be required to present valid travel documents, such as your passport and other supporting documents.

Green Light Canada

Get matched and discover immigration programs

You can apply in just 60 seconds – Take the free online assessment test and find out the best immigration options for you.

Who Is Required To Apply For An ETA To Fly To Canada?

1. Visa-exempt foreign nationals who plan to enter or transit through a Canadian airport (travelling by car, train, bus or boat is not applicable)

2. Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. They must present a valid Green Card and passport.

3. Citizens from select visa-required countries

Before flying to Canada, a number of documents will be required for successful entry. An eTA does not guarantee entry since its purpose is to simplify entry in certain cases.

The application process is simple and does not take long, however, it is not recommended to book a flight unless you have an eTA. Once you are approved it will automatically be linked to your passport. You must make sure the passport number indicated on your eTA confirmation is your own, otherwise, you will not be able to board your plane.

Other Programs

Contact us at Green Light Immigration Consultants Canada if you require help with your eTA application process, or need an eTA as part of other entry documents.
Green Light Canada Immigration
Notifiction bar


We can help you with the whole immigration process!