Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
The province of Ontario has a population exceeding 13 million. The most populous Canadian city of Toronto, that has a population of 6 million is also located in Ontario, which is traditionally one of the most desirable places to settle in Canada. The key factors for the popularity of Ontario are its diverse economy with all its segments represented equally (production, finance, commerce, & arts), mild climate compared to the rest of Canada and multiculturalism which allows people of different nationalities and background to maintain their cultural identity. If you are thinking to immigrate to Ontario you should consider Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
You can apply for the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) through one of these categories:
To comply with the requirements of General category, you must
- Live outside Canada
- Live in Canada with legal status
- Have a job offer in Ontario with Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC)
- Have an employer that is pre-screened and approved by Opportunities Ontario. The position requirements are also strictly regulated
For this category the employer must nominate the candidate, the candidate may not apply on his/her own.
International Students Category
The international Students Category of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is a broader category encompassing:
International Student with a Job Offer Stream
The requirements for applicants in this category must be able to show a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, who also has to submit this job offer to Opportunities Ontario for approval and the offer must remain valid during the application process. The job offer does not need to be in the same field as the degree or diploma). The additional requirements are that the student must have already graduated or graduating soon from one of accredited colleges or universities in Ontario, must have completed at least half of the studies in Canada, must have applied within 2 years of completing the studies.
International Ph.D. Graduate Stream
The applicants for this stream do not need to present a job offer to be eligible, but they still need to meet a number of requirements. Complete Ph.D. program with one of the designated Canadian Universities, have a legal status in Canada, have high proficiency in English/French, apply for this program within 2 years from receiving the Ph.D. degree.
International Masters Graduate Stream
The International Masters Graduate Stream is designed for the foreign Ontario Master Graduates. This program has a limited annual quota. Though students applying in this stream do not need a job offer, they must meet an extensive list of requirements, such as demonstrate intention to live and work in Ontario for at least one year of full time education in a masters program, to be currently residing in the province with a legal status, prove their high proficiency in English/French, and meet a minimum level of income.
The Business Category of Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) has been created with the goal to boost the economy, create new business opportunities for companies already operating in Ontario, and create more jobs in the province as well as to encourage international corporations to start or increase business operation in Ontario. It includes Ontario Corporate Stream and Ontario Entrepreneur Stream
Ontario Corporate Stream
Ontario Corporate stream of OINP was introduced in 2015 to support international corporations to increase operations or establish operating branches or investing in business in Ontario. Through this program employees essential to the corporation, or its Ontario branch operation is nominated for Canadian permanent resident status once the business, once the company is set up.
The corporation is required:
- To invest 5 or more million CAD in the new or existing Ontario based business.
- Have the minimum of 5 full-time jobs, employing Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Employees seeking OINP nomination under this category must be employed by the corporation and be essential to company operation in Ontario.
- The nominated employees have to pass the English/French proficiency test within 2 years.
- The business has to be established and operate successfully within 3 years.
The employees may obtain two-year Temporary Work Status from CIC Canada allowing them to establish a business in Ontario, before being nominated for permanent resident status. The corporation will be subject to the Performance Agreement established by OINP that outlines performance commitments and time-frames for the Ontario branch. There is a limit to a maximum of 5 people who can be nominated under this OINP stream for each business purchased or created by a foreign corporation in Ontario.
Ontario Entrepreneur Stream
In 2015 the investor class program with Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program was closed and the new category Ontario Entrepreneur Stream was officially introduced. It was designed to help foreign investors to look for new business opportunities in Ontario and create new businesses. Once the business is established and has a proven success track record, the entrepreneurs can be nominated under OINP for Ontario permanent residency.
The OINP Entrepreneur stream qualification for PR nomination:
- Each nominee must invest minimum 500,000 CAD in business in Ontario, with the minimum of 1 million CAD if the business is located in GTA with the exception of the businesses involved in digital media or information and communications technology.
- Each potential nominee must have an 800,000 CAD minimum net with the required minimum of 1,500,000 for GTA unless the business is involved in digital media or ICT industry.
- The minimum requirement for job creation is 2 full – time employment positions for Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- The entrepreneur must have a minimum of 3 years of senior management or business ownership experience in the past 5 years to be eligible for the program
- The entrepreneur must own or control at least 33% of equity share in the business created.
- The viability of the business will be accessed by Immigration Ontario officials based on preliminarily drafted performance agreement.
- The candidate has 2 years within which he has to complete the program.
Human Capital Priorities Stream
It is a new OINP category that allows the province of Ontario to select potential candidates for PR status from the Express Entry Pool that meet the requirements in work training and experience, language, and other skills considered to be able to add value to Ontario Labor market. The candidates for the program are selected by OINP through Express Entry Profiles that have indicated Ontario as a preferred province for immigration and have a minimum CRS score of at least 400 points. The candidates that fully match the criteria will receive Notification of Interest. In their turn, they will have 45 days to apply for Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.
Human Capital Priorities Stream qualification requirements for OINP:
- Work experience – minimum of 12 months of full-time employment in NOC level 0, A or B, or equivalent amount of part-time work;
- Education – Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. or equivalent confirmed by ECA report;
- Language proficiency – Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 confirmed by standardized language test recognized by the Government of Ontario;
- Intention to Live in Ontario;
- Must have a sufficient amount funds confirmed by bank statements.
French-Speaking Skilled Worker Category
This program has been designed to attract to settle in Ontario more French-speaking skilled workers with strong English abilities.
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) can nominate those candidates who have a valid profile in the Federal Express Entry pool, and meet the requirements of skilled work experience, education, and settlement funds.