Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP).
Manitoba is the fifth-most populous province in Canada, and is one of the three prairie provinces. Manitoba’s economy is based mainly on natural resources and agriculture. The population lives mostly in the provincial capital, Winnipeg, and its surrounding suburban neighbourhoods. Manitoba was the first Canadian province to establish its own immigration program, the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP).
Under the MPNP, potential immigrants with professional skills and experience looking to live in the province can receive a certificate of nomination from the Government of Manitoba, which accelerates their immigration process.
There are several streams of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program:
- Skilled Worker Immigration Stream
- Manitoba Business Investor Stream
- Morden Community Driven Immigration Initiative
- International Education Stream
Skilled Worker Immigration
This stream is divided into two substreams:
- The Skilled Worker Overseas Stream
- The Skilled Worker in Manitoba Stream
Skilled Worker Overseas Stream (SWO)
The Skilled Worker Overseas Stream (SWO) is designed for people outside of Canada. This program is intended for foreign workers with appropriate skills and education, who have the potential to easily find employment after arriving in Manitoba. This program offers a way to nominate qualified workers through the federal Express Entry system. Priority is given to candidates who have relatives in Manitoba, and who have a spouse with good language skills, education, and experience – allowing them to quickly find work in demanded professions. SWO has two pathways:
- Manitoba Express Entry Pathway
- Manitoba Human Capital Pathway
The Skilled Worker stream works through the Expression of Interest (EOI) system, in which candidates eligible to participate respond to a number of questions online and are not required to upload supporting documentation before sending their profile to the EOI pool. Profiles will be placed in the pool with other eligible applicants and you will receive an assessment based on the answers you provided. MPNP will evaluate you based on several factors, and if you are among the candidates with the highest score, you may be invited to apply to MPNP. There are no restrictions on the number of candidates who can apply and there is no time limit.
This category uses a scoring system to evaluate candidates who may be outside of Canada.
Applications are accepted from qualified workers who can demonstrate that they have friends or family who live in Manitoba, have studied or worked in Manitoba, or have an invitation to immigrate to Manitoba – while gaining at least 60 points for five eligibility criteria (age, language proficiency, work experience, education, and adaptability)
Skilled Worker in Manitoba Stream (SWM)
The Skilled Worker in Manitoba Stream (SWM) is designed for those who already are in Manitoba. This stream is based on Manitoban employer needs. It also has two pathways:
- Manitoba Work Experience Pathway – This pathway is aimed at candidates working in Manitoba based on a temporary work permit
- Employer Direct Recruitment Pathway – This pathway is aimed at foreign applicants who have a written job offer from a Manitoba employer.
In the Skilled Worker in Manitoba stream, applications are received from qualified temporary foreign workers and international students studying in Canada, who currently work in Manitoba, and who have been offered a full-time job from an employer in Manitoba. Unlike other streams in the MPNP, a qualified worker in Manitoba is not subject to a points system to qualify.
Manitoba Business Investor Stream
The Manitoba Business Investor Stream is divided into two categories:
- Manitoba Entrepreneur Pathway
- Manitoba Farm Investor Pathway
Manitoba Entrepreneur Pathway
The Manitoba Entrepreneur Pathway is designed for people who intend to launch a business in Manitoba. It is operated by the Expression of Interest system (EOI), through which applicants submit their intention to apply for the program, and the candidates who are most eligible receive an invitation for immigration.
Manitoba Farm Investor Pathway
The Manitoba Farm Investor Pathway is a new program, replacing the previous Farm Strategic Recruitment Initiative. This pathway is designed for individuals with experience in farm management, who have sufficient capital for investments, and for those who intend to start up a farm in Manitoba.
Morden Community Driven Immigration Initiative
The Morden Community Driven Immigration Initiative is a local immigration program offered by the town of Morden, Manitoba. This rural town, located 112 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, is actively seeking new immigrants with specific professions. Immigration to Morden is through the MPNP.
International Education Stream
The International Education Stream is a stream of the MPNP organized into three categories:
- Career Employment Pathway – This stream is for individuals who have graduated from an accredited university or college in Manitoba in the past three years, and who have a job offer from an employer in Manitoba
- Graduate Internship Pathway – This stream is for individuals who have completed a masters or doctoral degree program in Manitoba in the past three years. No job offer is needed.
- International Student Entrepreneur Pilot – This stream is for individuals who recently completed a 2 year (or longer) post-secondary program at an accredited university or college in Manitoba, who intend to start up their own business. A business plan is required for submission.