Refugee Protection in Canada
Refugees are individuals who have been forced to leave their home country due to fear of persecution or death. Canada offers a strong refugee protection policy and a reliable support system.
Canadian refugee protection programs
The Canadian refugee system is organized into two programs:
- The Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program, which is for people who need protection and are located outside of Canada (often in resettlement, or refugee camps). The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), human rights groups, and private community sponsors may appoint individuals for this program
- the In-Canada Asylum Program for those who have crossed the border and are claiming refugee status in Canada
A person may claim protection as a refugee if they are:
- A human rights activist persecuted by the state
- A union leader or student rights activist facing threats without government protection
- An LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) person facing violence and persecution
- A member of a religion persecuted by the government
- A member of an ethnic group facing persecution by the government
- An educator in a country that is being persecuted by the government
- A woman facing domestic violence endorsed by the government
- A person accused of opposing a government regime
- A child of an imprisoned political leader
- A witness of a massacre by government military forces
In Canada, refugee claimants enjoy certain rights and can have access to government services while their case for refugee protection is being considered by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all people in Canada regardless of their. Refugee status claimants may also apply for a work or study permit. The children of refugee status claimants are eligible to attend public schools.
We here at Green Light Immigration Consultants Canada understand the hardships that people claiming refugee status have experienced, as well as their challenges in communication and obtaining evidence supporting their claims. Our years of expertise have shown a high success rate in approving refugees.