Home / Reunite with Your Family Through the Family Sponsorship

Reunite with Your Family Through the Family Sponsorship

Green Light Canada
Get matched and discover immigration programs

You can apply in just 60 seconds – Take the free online assessment test and find out the best immigration options for you.

The unpopular system for reuniting recent immigrants with their parents based on lottery principle has been canceled. Ahmed Hussen, Immigration Minister of Canada on August 20th, 2018, has announced the important changes to the sponsorship program for parents and grandparents. The system now will have increased set quota for the year and will be based on the first-come-first-served basis.

The most welcoming nation in the World, Canada is strongly committed to the values of family. Led by this notion, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada established several opportunities for family members of the immigrant to reunite with their beloved ones. Evgeny Blumin, an Immigration Expert and a Vice-President of Green Light Immigration, gives an overview of the Immigration path via the Family Sponsorship.

“There are several different cases of Family Sponsorship, says Blumin, and each of them has its own features and conditions.” The most common are Spousal sponsorship, Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship, Dependent Child Sponsorship and the Super Visa – an extended stay without becoming permanent residents in Canada.

As it follows from its title, Spousal sponsorship allows Canadians to unite with their non-Canadian partners. Many immigrants mistakenly believe that to become a sponsor one needs to be a citizen of Canada. However, it is enough to be a permanent resident residing in Canada to sponsor your spouse. In general, to apply for sponsorship you should be at least 18 years old and be able to show your financial ability to fund the basic needs of your partner. Another common misconception is that a couple should be married for a spousal sponsorship. In fact, Canada recognizes a common-law partnership as equal to a marriage. This also applies to same-sex partners.

If you are sponsoring a partner, their dependent children must be included in the application form. It is important to know that Canadian citizens cannot be sponsored. Also, if you have a child who was born after you have become a Canadian resident of some permanence, he/she would be eligible for the Canadian citizenship.

As for the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship, one should meet certain income requirements, and be willing to commit to support one’s parents or grandparents financially, since they will not be entitled to any government financial assistance, and are not entitled to Canadian pension for the period of 20 years, starting from the date they become permanent residents. The number of spots for Parents Sponsorship is limited to 10,000 applications a year which are randomly selected by IRCC.

What to do if you were not lucky to be selected? There is an opportunity for an extended stay of your parents without becoming permanent residents in Canada, also known as Super Visa. In most cases, you can receive Super Visa within 60 days after your application, and it can be extended several times. Recently, IRCC has updated the Super Visa program’s duration of stay. Each entry into Canada should be for a duration of up to two years, and extensions should be for one year. The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa and may be obtained for the period of up to 10 years.

Contact our immigration experts at Green Light Immigration to find out how to become a sponsor and reunite with your family.

Send us a message

    More News

    In the most recent Express Entry draw IRCC extended invitations to 1,040 candidates. In this draw, candidates needed a minimum Comprehensive Ranking...

    Canada stands out as a top choice for international students globally. Thanks to its exceptional educational institutions, international reputation, and promising work...

    New Brunswick is one of Canada’s three maritime provinces, distinguished as the sole officially bilingual region, recognizing both English and French. Nestled...

    Notifiction bar


    We can help you with the whole immigration process!