When Newcomers Arrive in Canada, Which Settlement Services Are Available to Them?
Canada has set an ambitious immigration target for 2023. Still, the country has established a well-functioning system. for welcoming and integrating newcomers to fulfill its humanitarian, cultural, economic, and social needs.
So How Does Canada Effectively Integrate Newcomers into the Country?
To settle newcomers into the country successfully. Canada relies on its well-established settlement services. which have been a critical factor in its success. These free services are administered at the provincial, municipal, and federal levels. And they provide various support, including needs assessments, orientation, information services, employment assistance, community connection, and language training services. These programs aim to help newcomers thrive in Canada while also enabling them to contribute to the country’s economic, cultural, and social fabric.
Only protected persons, permanent residents, and select temporary residents of Canada are eligible for settlement services..
As a Newcomer, What are the Ways for Me to Access Settlement Services?
In case of uncertainty about which services are relevant and required, newcomers can seek settlement counseling and referrals. This will enable them to connect with a settlement counselor who can assess their needs and suggest appropriate services.
Newcomers can also contact their provincial or municipal settlement service providers directly to inquire about the available services. One of the simplest ways to do this is to search for settlement services in their respective province or neighborhood.
The IRCC has created a helpful tool that compiles these services and allows for filtered searches based on postal codes to find the nearest available services. This tool also includes settlement programs that cater to specific demographics like seniors, youth, women, and 2SLBTQi+ individuals.
Moreover, IRCC-funded websites like Compass to Connect offer easy-to-search directories of settlement services and also provide information about upcoming events and workshops for newcomers.
If you want to be one of the invitees of permanent residency and access all these services, fill out our Free Assessment form and evaluate your chances of immigrating to Canada.
As a Canadian Permanent Resident, Which Services Can I Access?
Settlement services can broadly be categorized into the following areas:
- Employment support
- Preparation for a citizenship test
- Assistance with daily living
- Language assessments and general language training
- Finding a mentor or becoming a mentor for a newcomer
- Specialized services for seniors, youth, women, refugees, and 2SLGBTQi+ individuals
- Job-specific language training
- Other services
How Are These Services Beneficial for Newcomers?
The federal government invests significantly in settlement services, approximately 2 billion CAD a year – but how effective are these services in assisting newcomers?
In 2021, the IRCC conducted the initial study on the outcomes of settlement programs for newcomers, which revealed that:
- The majority of newcomers (95%) who received settlement services found them to be useful
- 85% of clients referred to settlement services reported being able to access them without difficulty.
- 78% of those who received employment-related services indicated that settlement services helped them acquire skills, connections, and knowledge that prepared them for the Canadian labor market.
- Regarding language training, an average of 89.5% of newcomers reported improvement in writing, reading, speaking, and listening skills in English and French.
- 92% of newcomers agreed that their community was welcoming to newcomers, with 90% having a strong sense of belonging in Canada
- 61% of newcomers who received community connection settlement services felt that they could meet people who they now consider close friends.